TIN MAN DRIVE SHAFT LOOP INSTALLATION
From Tin Man Fabrication, Inc.
Your drive shaft loop from Tin Man Fabrication is intended to be used with Tin Man’s Mustang Subframe Connectors. The loop is designed to retain the drive shaft in the case of front U joint failure. If installed within 6” of the front U joint, this loop will be NHRA legal.
To download a pdf version of these instructions click here.
*This part number will not work on convertibles.
- After installation of your Tin Man Subframe Connectors, remove the straps from the rear U joint and drop the rear of the drive shaft down.
- Slide the drive shaft loop over the drive shaft with the loop facing up.
- Put the drive shaft back in place loosely so that it is located correctly but will not fall during installation of the drive shaft loop.
- Locate the drive shaft loop so that it is within 6” of the front U joint and flush with the top edge of the Subframe connector. Mark this location being sure that it is the same side-to-side.
- Measure the distance between the subframe connectors. This dimension should be a .25” longer than the driveshaft loop cross bar. If not trim the cross bar equally on both sides until it is .25” shorter. This allows space for the end caps as stated in 7. & 8.
- Remove the drive shaft loop from the drive shaft.
- Locate the two 1.5” x 3” x 11” gauge plates supplied.
- Weld the plates to the ends of the cross bar with the top side flush and the other 3 sides equally spaced as shown in the picture. This seals the tube from moisture.
- Re-install the loop over the drive shaft. Be sure to clean the area to be installed and weld in place.
- Re-assemble the drive shaft and go have fun!